Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Corsicana in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Navarro County Courthouse

 
 
Navarro County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
1. Navarro County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Navarro County was created in 1846 by an act of the first Texas Legislature. It was named for early statesman Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871), a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. The first county seat was established at the home of William R. Howe, an early settler on the Chambers Creek in present-day Ellis County. In 1848, Corsicana was designated the seat of government, and temporary offices were set up in the home of pioneer Hampton McKinney. The second temporary courthouse for Navarro County was a log cabin located on the corner of West First Avenue and Twelfth Street. A second courthouse, built at this site in 1853, burned in 1855, requiring the construction of a third building. In 1880, Austin architect F. E. Ruffini designed a fourth courthouse for Navarro County. The elaborately ornate building proved too small for the needs of the growing county, and a shifting foundation caused the structure to be condemned in 1904. The present courthouse was designed by architect J. E. Flanders of Dallas. Constructed of red Burnet granite and gray brick, it was completed in 1905. The Beaux Arts Classical Revival structure features a clock dome and a pedimental entryway with free-standing Ionic columns. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983
 
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission
Navarro County Courthouse Marker, behind the small tree image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
2. Navarro County Courthouse Marker, behind the small tree
. (Marker Number 7236.)
 
Location. 32° 5.712′ N, 96° 28.11′ W. Marker is in Corsicana, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on West 3rd Avenue near North 13th Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 West 3rd Avenue, Corsicana TX 75110, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jose Antonio Navarro (here, next to this marker); The Call To Arms (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Ingles Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Corsicana in 1860-1872 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Westminster Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Site of The First Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Corsicana (about 800 feet away); Corsicana City Jail of 1908 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corsicana.
 
Regarding Navarro County Courthouse. National Register of Historic Places:
Navarro County Courthouse (added 2004 - - #04000947)
300 W. 3rd Ave. , Corsicana
♦ Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Flanders, James Edward, General Supply and Construction Co.
♦ Architectural Style: Beaux Arts
Navarro County Courthouse, the Beaux Arts Classical Revival structure features a clock dome image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
3. Navarro County Courthouse, the Beaux Arts Classical Revival structure features a clock dome
Marker seen at far left
Area of Significance: Architecture, Politics/Government
♦ Period of Significance: 1950-1974, 1925-1949, 1900-1924
♦ Owner: Local
♦ Historic Function: Government, Recreation And Culture
♦ Historic Sub-function: Courthouse, Monument/Marker
♦ Current Function: Government, Recreation And Culture
♦ Current Sub-function: Courthouse, Monument/Marker
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Navarro County Courthouse with statue of statesman Jose Antonio Navarro, county namesake image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
4. Navarro County Courthouse with statue of statesman Jose Antonio Navarro, county namesake
Navarro County Courthouse lawn features The Call To Arms Monument image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
5. Navarro County Courthouse lawn features The Call To Arms Monument
Navarro County Courthouse and Corsicana Fire Department Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
6. Navarro County Courthouse and Corsicana Fire Department Memorial
Navarro County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Navarro County TX, circa 1902
7. Navarro County Courthouse Marker
A shifting foundation caused the structure to be condemned in 1904.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 289 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 26, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   7. submitted on December 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement