K6 Telephone Kiosk 1935
King George V (Reigned 1910 - 1936)
The K6 was made of cast iron, and it was painted red throughout. By the end of the 1930's 20,000 K6's had been installed all over Great Britain. The Second World War halted mass production the K6's, although it proved possible to produce and install a further 2000, once the shortage of raw materials had eased. After the war, a faster rate of installation resumed, although, until 1950 it was still less than half of what it had been before the war. Between 1950 and 1955, however, about 25,000 K6's were installed, an even greater rate than before 1939. The pace slowed thereafter, but K6's were still being installed at a rate of about 1000 a year in the mid-1960's.
The central K6 Telephone Kiosk, and the one to its left, were manufactured by the Carron Company, Stirlingshire, Scotland. The K6 Telephone Kiosk to the right, was manufactured by MacFarlane and Co. LTD., Saracen Foundry Glasgow, Scotland.
Location. 39° 52.29′ N, 79° 31.368′ W. Marker is in Dunbar, Pennsylvania, in Fayette County. Marker can be reached from Kentuck Road. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Finial from One, Poultry, London EC4, 1870 (here, next to this marker); Kentuck Knob (approx. ¼ mile away); Fallingwater (approx. 3.6 miles away); Road to Disaster (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Old Braddock Road (approx. 5 miles away); A Secret Grave (approx. 5 miles away); Braddock’s Original Grave Site (approx. 5 miles away); First Roads to the West (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dunbar.
Also see . . . Kentuck Knob website. (Submitted on December 26, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 284 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.