Switzerland in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Johns County / New Switzerland Plantation
St. Johns County
On July 21, 1821 Major General Andrew Jackson, Florida's first Territorial Governor, established St. Johns County, with St. Augustine as the county seat. It contained all Florida east of the Suwanee River, approximately 39,400 square miles with over 1,100 miles of coastline. Since 1821, more than 2/3 of Florida's present 67 counties have been carved from St. Johns' original boundaries, reducing it to but 600 square miles of land area.
New Switzerland Plantation
Francis Phillip Fatio, Sr. (1724 - 1811) a Swiss native, brought his family, slaves and personal possessions here shortly after Spain ceded Florida to Great Britain in 1763. After obtaining a crown grant of 10,000 acres in this area, Fatio imported materials from England and built a country estate where he lived the life of a frontier baron. The plantation buildings were destroyed during the East Florida Patriot revolt in 1812.
Erected 1967 by St. Johns County Historical Commission.
Location. 30° 4.533′ N, 81° 38.875′ W. Marker is in Switzerland, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is on State Road 13 near Swiss Lane, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Johns FL 32259, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Beluthahatchee (approx. 1.4 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 1.8 miles away); William Bartram Scenic Highway (approx. 2.3 miles away); Camp Chowenwaw (approx. 4.6 miles away); Green Cove Springs (approx. 5.9 miles away); Harriet Beecher Stowe Home (approx. 6 miles away); The Village Improvement Association Woman's Club (approx. 6 miles away); Church of Our Savior (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Switzerland.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 459 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 29, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.