Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Capt. Daniel Weisiger III / Weisiger House
Capt. Daniel Weisiger III
Early Frankfort merchant, farmer, county clerk, city trustee, first postmaster, and host of Weisiger House. 1st Master of Hiram Masonic Lodge. He married Lucy Price and fathered 10 children, including Dr. Joseph Weisiger, first white male born in Frankfort. Grandfather of 3 Civil War generals. (Over)
Donated by Ann Gorin Prothro
"at the sign of the Golden Eagle"
Tunstall's Tavern was enlarged to become Weisiger House, ca. 1790s. Social & political gathering place in Frankfort. On May 9, 1825, a grand ball was held to honor Gen. Layfayette. After Daniel's death, Lucy managed inn & stage stop for over a decade. City bought it in 1852 & built Capital Hotel here.
For Lucy Weisiger Wilson Gorin
Erected 2009 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2299.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 11.878′ N, 84° 52.574′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frankfort KY 40601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hiram Lodge No. 4 F. & A.M. (within shouting distance of this marker); First Christian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewis and Clark in Kentucky / William Clark in Frankfort (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Tunnel in Kentucky (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frankfort Union Station (about 400 feet away); John Hampton House / Early Stone House (about 400 feet away); Paul Sawyier Boyhood Home (about 500 feet away); Frankfort Bridge Site (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 337 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 31, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.