Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Gone But Not Forgotten – Frankfort’s “Craw”
In reality, most of the residents were law-abiding folk who enjoyed their neighborhood schools, churches, and friendships.
During the 1950s the North Franklin Slum Clearance and Redevelopment Agency, an urban-renewal initiative, began the effort to “revitalize the area.” By the mid-1960s urban renewal had scattered the “Craw’s” families and destroyed such local landmarks as the Mayo-Underwood School (1929-1963) and the American Legion Building.
This 1940 view of the residential section of Wilkinson Street shows the former People’s Mission, second from the left. Kentucky Historical Society
Mayo-Underwood School (ca. 1930) named in honor of Professor William H. Mayo and Dr. E.E. Underwood, served Frankfort’s African American community for over thirty years. The Capital Plaza Tower, at Wilkinson and Mero Streets, now occupies the corner where Mayo-Underwood once stood. Kentucky Historical Society Collection.
Constructed at the turn of the century, this three-story, cut-stone American Legion Building (ca. 1917), located at 429 Washington Street, served as a social and business center for the African American community. Kentucky Historical Society Collection.
Location. 38° 12.238′ N, 84° 52.703′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky, in Franklin County. Marker can be reached from Wilkinson Boulevard (U.S. 421) north of West Plaza Connector Road (U.S. 127), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located along the Riverview Trail in Kentucky River View Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 Wilkinson Blvd, Frankfort KY 40601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Hill Overlooking the Kentucky River (within shouting distance of this marker); Dry Stone Masonry in Kentucky (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Franks Ford, Fishtrap Island, and Craw (about 600 feet away); Locks and Dams (about 600 feet away); Amos Kendall (1789 - 1869) (approx. ¼ mile away); Old State House (approx. ¼ mile away); Emily Thomas Tubman House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Church of the Ascension (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
Categories. • African Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 1, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.