Hillsboro in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Organized May 14, 1853
Named in honor of
Dr. George W. Hill
Member of the Texas Congress
Secretary of War of the
Republic of Texas, 1843-1845
Lexington, first village
Hillsboro, county seat since
Erected by 1936 Centennial - Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 2480.)
Location. 32° 0.679′ N, 97° 7.825′ W. Marker is in Hillsboro, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is on North Waco Street (State Highway 81), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Located east side of Courthouse, between West Franklin and West Elm Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Hillsboro TX 76645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hill County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Hill County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Courthouse History (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Old Lexington Village (within shouting distance of this marker); Bond's Alley (about 300 Pioneer Bank Building (about 300 feet away); Hill County Jail (about 400 feet away); Hillsboro Post Office Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsboro.
Regarding Hill County. Although the county seat of Hillsboro is close to a busy highway (I-35), it still retains that small-town charm. But back in 1853 when Hill County was created from Navarro County, Indians, bear, antelope, buffalo, wild horses, and deer made up most of the population.
Since the animals didn't threaten the settlers too much but the Indians did, a fort was built about fifteen miles west of present-day Hillsboro. Fort Graham, built in the late 1840s, helped keep the more hostile Indians at bay and served as a scouting and reporting station. Major Ripley Arnold, who founded Fort Worth back when it was just a camp, was supervisor of the fort. ...
Both Hill County and Hillsboro are named for Dr. George W. Hill, a pioneer Navarro County settler who served both as a congressman and as Secretary of War for the Republic of Texas. He was a surgeon with a degree from Transylvania University who married a gal named Slaughter. Not long
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 11, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 12, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.