Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Engleton

 
 
Engleston Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
1. Engleston Marker
Inscription. By the end of the 19th Century, Harrisburg's distinction as State Capital, transportation center and nucleus of industry unleashed development energy to keep pace with the pressing need for housing in the rapidly growing city. Builders emerged to construct homes block-by-block in recently subdivided lands located closer to the municipal boundaries of 1860, the year that Harrisburg was incorporated as a city. One of the best preserved "snapshots" of this development activity can be seen in what has traditionally been known as "Engleton" which lies between N. Second and N. Third Streets and between Reily and Kelker Streets. This neighborhood developed so rapidly between 1893 and 1901, consuming 12 blocks in only eight years, that it resulted in absolute consistency in style and materials to the extent that the neighborhood can be viewed as one comprehensive architectural entity. This development, and subsequent neighborhood namesake, was the result of local lumber dealer and real estate salesman Benjamin Engle who, in 1893, teamed with Clinton Hershey, a surveyor and civil engineer, to form the firm of Engle and Hershey. With lumber yards first located on the Southwest corner of Susquehanna and Granite Streets, Engle, the principal of the firm, set about designing and building groups of houses all in brick expressing both the queen Anne
Corner of Second and Reily. image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
2. Corner of Second and Reily.
and Italianate architectural forms in a symmetrical and alternating patterns. After 1901, others built farther northward to Maclay Street, although of different plans and styles, the cumulative effect of which led to the overall area being designated the Old Uptown National Register Historic District. Engleton remains the heart of this District, well preserved to this day as an intimate and attractive Harrisburg neighborhood.
Top Photo
Northeast corner of N. Second and Reily Streets c. 1900.
Map
Section of 1901 City Atlas showing cohesiveness of Engleton neighborhood shaded in red.
Bottom Photo
West side of the 1500 Block of N. Second Street c 1900.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
 
Location. 40° 16.224′ N, 76° 53.571′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Second Street and Reily Street, on the left on N. Second Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17102, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mira Lloyd Dock (about 400 feet away,
Engleton homes on Second Street image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
3. Engleton homes on Second Street
A mix of Queen Ann and Italianate double houses.
measured in a direct line); Mira Lloyd Dock Residence (about 500 feet away); Paxtang Manor (about 600 feet away); “Never Again” (about 800 feet away); J. Horace McFarland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Firefighters' Memorial Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Midtown Market District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Broad Street Market (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable BuildingsPolitical Subdivisions
 
Engleton, Second Street at Harris Street, seen from Riverview Manor image. Click for full size.
By John K. Robinson, July 5, 2009
4. Engleton, Second Street at Harris Street, seen from Riverview Manor
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,666 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 15, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   4. submitted on April 18, 2010, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement