Corsicana in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
IOOF Home Memorial Bell Tower
By the Ex-Students Association
to commemorate the hundreds
who lived, studied and prepared
for adulthood near this site,
and to honor the
Odd Fellows and Rebekas
who made our home possible.
The bell in the tower tolled
the routine of the days
for more than a century,
marking not only the passage
of time, but also the
cumulative events that became
the stuff of memories.
Erected 1987 by The Grand Lodge of Texas, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Location. 32° 4.601′ N, 96° 30.241′ W. Marker is in Corsicana, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on West 2nd Avenue near North 43rd Street. Touch for map. Located on the Navarro College Campus. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3400 West 2nd Avenue, Corsicana TX 75110, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Odd Fellow and Rebekah Children's Home (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); 15th Texas Infantry Companies E and G (approx. 0.4 miles away); Navarro Rifles (approx. 0.4 miles Corsicana Hebrew Cemetery (approx. one mile away); James Clinton Neill (approx. 1.6 miles away); Dunn-Ransom Home (approx. 1.7 miles away); Smith-McCrery Home (approx. 1.7 miles away); Judge John S. Callicutt (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corsicana.
Regarding IOOF Home Memorial Bell Tower. In 1885 the Grand Lodge of Texas, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, founded the I. O. O. F. Widows and Orphans Home, one of the first fraternal orphanages in the state. Corsicana Lodge No. 63 and other local citizens gave 200 acres as a site for the facility. On April 26, 1886, the cornerstone for the first permanent building was laid. Only one child was residing here in 1891, but enrollment and financial support soon increased. The home became a self-contained community with its own independent school district, farm and dairy, power plant, and water supply. Abel Rice Auditorium, built in 1911 when enrollment was over 300, contained a swimming pool and gym, and housed the fine arts department sponsored by the Rebekah lodges. This institution also served as a home for the aged
Categories. • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 25, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 25, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.