James Mulligan and his brothers, Francis, Patrick and Terrance, emigrated from County Caven, Ireland and settled in Clinton. James' brothers bought the quarry in 1848; James helped in its operation.
In 1855, The Mulligans sold the quarry to James P. Hoffman, who sold it to George Gulick. However, James continued to lease and operate the site until his death in 1862. His son, Michael C., carried on the quarry operation, buying the property from Gulick in 1866 and renaming it "M.C. Mulligan & Son." The name remained for 95 years, until Michael's son, James, who took over the quarry in 1916, ceased its operations in 1961.
Location. 40° 38.248′ N, 74° 54.862′ W. Marker is near Clinton, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker can be reached from Quarry Road. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Red Mill Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Clinton NJ 08809, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lime Kilns (here, next to this marker); Schoolhouse (here, next to this marker); Tenant House (here, next
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 8, 2013, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 8, 2013, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.