Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
El Castillo Site
Location. 36° 36.364′ N, 121° 53.719′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker can be reached from Corporal Ewing Road. Touch for map. This marker is located in the Presidio de Monterey to the east of Corporal Ewing Road on a small knoll overlooking Monterey Bay. Marker is in this post office area: Monterey CA 93944, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Here ... landed Very Rev. Father Junipero Serra (a few steps from this marker); The Argentine Navy (within shouting distance of this marker); Hippolyte Bouchard Monument (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); El Castillo de Monterey Presidio of Monterey Museum (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 400th Anniversary of the Naming of Monterey Bay by Gen. Sebastián Vizcaíno (about 600 feet away); Don Caspar de Portolá (about 600 feet away); Crescent Brand Sardine Company (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
Also see . . . History of the Presidio. The Monterey Bay area was colonized by a small Spanish expedition that reached Monterey Bay in May 1770. Captain Don Gaspar de Portola commanded the military component of this expedition, and Franciscan Father Junipero Serra was in charge of the religious element. (Submitted on February 8, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 8, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 8, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.