Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Episcopal Cathedral Church of St. Stephen & Cathedral House

 
 
The Episcopal Cathedral Church of St. Stephen & Cathedral House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
1. The Episcopal Cathedral Church of St. Stephen & Cathedral House Marker
Inscription. Although the Founder of Harrisburg, John Harris, Jr., was a member of the Church of England, it was not until 1826 that a permanent Episcopal church building was erected here. Consecrated on St. John's Day, 1827, by Bishop William White, who was First Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, Rector of Christ Church, Philadelphia, and Chaplain of the Continental Congress, what was known as St. Stephen's Protestant Episcopal Church retains to this day its original Gothic Revival-styled exterior. Before 1865, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania was one Episcopal Dioceses. Territorial restructuring over the ensuing decades led to the creation of the Diocese of Harrisburg in 1904 (now the Diocese of Central Pennsylvania). Official designation of St. Stephens as a "Cathedral" Church would occur in 1932. Next door to the south of the Cathedral at 215 N. Front Street, a classic Greek Revival-styled residential structure was erected c. 1840, one of the finest examples of this form of architecture in the Harrisburg area. now known as the Cathedral House, it was acquired by St. Stephen's in 1918 for use as the home of the Church's Dean. The building presently serves as the St. Stephen's Episcopal School which provides a primary through middle school-level curriculum. Directly adjacent to the Cathedral to the north at 221 N. Front Street is the Second
St. Stephen's Cathedral Church image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
2. St. Stephen's Cathedral Church
Empire-styled Chapter House, the Cathedral administrative center. likewise erected as a single-family residence and dating to 1870, it completes the trio of Cathedral buildings that exhibits a well-preserved cluster of distinctive architectural periods of old Front Street.
Top Photo
St. Stephen's Protestant Episcopal Church in 1855.
Bottom Photo
Cathedral House in 1934 prior to entranceway portico restoration.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
 
Location. 40° 15.626′ N, 76° 53.166′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Front Street and Cranberry Street, on the right when traveling south on N. Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Marcus Reno Residence and Governorsí Home (here, next to this marker); Greetings to Future Harrisburgers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Executive Mansion (about 400 feet away);
Church tower. image. Click for full size.
By John K. Robinson, March 25, 2007
3. Church tower.
Keystone Hall (about 400 feet away); The Calder/Olmsted/McCormick Mansion (about 500 feet away); Harrisburg Public Library Dauphin County Library System (about 600 feet away); James McCormick Mansion (about 600 feet away); Swenson Plaza Flood Memorial (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
The Episcopal Cathedral Church of St. Stephen & Cathedral House seen from the south. image. Click for full size.
By John K. Robinson, March 25, 2007
4. The Episcopal Cathedral Church of St. Stephen & Cathedral House seen from the south.
Parish House, with school in background image. Click for full size.
By John K. Robinson, March 25, 2007
5. Parish House, with school in background
Nave of the Episcopal Cathedral Church of St. Stephen image. Click for full size.
By John K. Robinson, March 25, 2007
6. Nave of the Episcopal Cathedral Church of St. Stephen
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,832 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 18, 2010, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement