Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Reverend Andrew Cauthen Craft and Susan Blake Craft
of Reverend Andrew Cauthen Craft
Susan Blake craft
Toccoa Orphanage in 1911.
Thirty years with God's Providence
he was a father to the fatherless and
she was a mother to the motherless of
fourteen hundred homeless children.
Erected 1958 by Children of the Home and Their Families in Toccoa.
Location. 34° 34.767′ N, 83° 19.8′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is at the intersection of North Sage Street and East Doyle Street, on the right when traveling south on North Sage Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kelly Barnes Dam Break Monument (here, next to this marker); Stephens County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Toccoa Korean War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Stephens County (within shouting distance of this marker); Capt. A.H. Ramsay, C.V. (about 300 feet away, measured in a Stephen County Fallen Veterans Monument (about 300 feet away); Stephens County Revolutionary Soldiers Monument (about 300 feet away); Stephens County World War I Monument (about 300 feet away); Toccoa City Hall (about 500 feet away); Paul Anderson Memorial Park (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
Also see . . . The House of Many Rooms: History of Toccoa Orphanage and Its Founders. This book is a fascinating true story of a caring couple who became parents to fourteen hundred homeless children over a period of thirty years. (Submitted on February 15, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Toccoa Orphanage, 1940 Description
Franklin Street, an undenominational institution, was founded in 1911 when the Reverend A.C. Craft opened his house to homeless children. Since then the orphanage, supported entirely by private donations, has grown until it now houses seventy-five children in seven frame buildings. Ninety acres of land are cultivated in food crops. (Source: Georgia: A Guide to Its Towns and Countryside, 1940.)
— Submitted February 15, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 15, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 668 times since then and 215 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 15, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.