Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Underwood – Brown Adobe
Built prior to 1843. Home of Underwood and Brown families from 1860-1926. This tablet dedicated to the memory of Margaret Underwood Brown, a loyal native daughter, by Junipero Parlor No. 141 Native Daughters of the Golden West. April 24, 1948
Built in the fall of 1843. Now used as executive offices of the City of Monterey.
Erected 1948 by Native Daughters of the Golden West, Junipero Parlor No. 141.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 36° 35.819′ N, 121° 53.85′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker is on Madison Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 350 Madison Street, Monterey CA 93940, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Monterey Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Casa Gutierrez (within shouting distance of this marker); Monterey History Time Line The Great Seal of the State of California (about 300 feet away); Colton Hall – Site of California’s Original Constitution (about 300 feet away); Chaplain Walter Colton, U.S.N., 1787-1851 (about 300 feet away); Vasquez Adobe (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 16, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.