Hilton Head Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
History Of The Dolphin Head Area
(Hilton Head Island)
¤ 15,000 to 4,000 Years Ago: The
rising sea level flooded the deep basin
now known as Port Royal Sound.
¤ 1531: Spanish explorers Francisco
Gordillo and Pedro de Quexos sailed
into Port Royal Sound. Historians
believe they landed on Parris Island.
¤ 1562: French Huguenots led by
Jean Rebaut established a temporary
settlement in the vicinity. They named
the sound Port Royale.
¤ 1566: The Spanish return to Parris
Island. They build three forts before
abandoning the outpost in 1587.
¤ 1663: English captain William Hilton
explored the coast of the Carolinas.
He described this island as suitable
for colonization and agriculture. After
1776, maps named the island Hilton
¤ 1790: Planter William Elliot grew
the first successful crop Sea
cotton near Dolphin Head.
The remains of his family's Myrtle
Bank Plantation house are visible
200 feet offshore at low tide
¤ 1861: Union warships bombarded
Confederate forts on Hilton Head
Island and St. Phillips Island. More
Hilton Head in the Civil War Battle
of Port Royal.
¤ 1972:Development of Hilton Head
Plantation began. The Dolphin Head
Recreation Area was established.
Pine Island was set aside in
protective covenants, which forever
prohibit its development.
Panoramic sketch Port Royal Sound Northwest to East
3 miles wide from Dolphin Head to Parris Island
35 feet deep in channel
Erected 2001 by HHP and Gardeners Club.
Location. 32° 13.196′ N, 80° 40.168′ W. Marker is in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker can be reached from South Port Royal Drive, on the left. Touch for map. Located near the beach house, Port Royal Plantation (a gated Community, restricted access). Marker is in this post office area: Hilton Head Island SC 29928, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Sherman (approx. 0.6 miles away); "Robbers Row" (approx. one mile away); Fort Walker (approx. one mile away); Hilton Head (approx. 1.2 miles away); Two Gallant Gentlemen from South Carolina Battle of Port Royal (approx. 1.2 miles away); Steam Gun (approx. 1.2 miles away); St. James Baptist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hilton Head Island.
Also see . . . Town of Hilton Head Island History and timeline. Capt. William Hilton sailed from Barbados, on the Adventure, to explore lands granted by King Charles II to the eight Lords Proprietors. Hilton Head Island takes its name from a headland near the entrance to Port Royal Sound. (Submitted on February 20, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 418 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 20, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.