Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Reedy Chapel A.M.E. Church
More than 30 ministers have served the congregation including the Rev. J.E. Edwards, the Rev. Josiah Armstrong, the Rev. M.D. Moody, The Rev. W.R. Beamer, the Rev Louis H. Reynolds, the Rev. A.I. Henley, the Rev. R.C. Walker, the Rev. Erford Barker, the Rev. C.B. Bryant, and The Rev. Sylvester I. Green. Many of Galveston's prominent Black citizens have been members of Reedy Chapel A.M.E. Church. Today the fellowship includes several descendants of the original founders.
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. Touch for map. Located on the south-west corner of Broadway and 21st Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2015 Broadway, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reedy Chapel A. M. E. Church (a few steps from this marker); St. Joseph's Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Congregation B'nai Israel Synagogue (about 800 feet away); The Galveston Movement (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sonnentheil Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Mariner: Leon Smith (approx. 0.2 miles away); William J. Killeen House (approx. 0.2 miles away); [Galveston County] 1901-1965 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Regarding Reedy Chapel A.M.E. Church. Reedy Chapel, African Methodist Episcopal Church, Established 1848
Celebrating the 165th Church Anniversary
2015 Broadway Galveston, Texas
In 1848 the parishioners and trustees of Galveston’s Methodist Episcopal Church South decided to establish a church for their slaves under the Methodist Episcopal Bishop. On March 18 the trustees
Reedy Chapel is highly recognized for the building’s impressive architecture, but the Church is equally recognized for the significant role it played in the freedom of slaves in Texas. On June 19, 1865, Major General Gordon Granger issued a series of orders for the military occupation of Galveston. The most important of these was No. 3:
The people are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free.
On January 1, 1866, a large group of newly-freed slaves---men, women and children---walked from Galveston’s old courthouse on 21st and Ball to Reedy Chapel on 20th and Broadway to recognize and celebrate slavery's end. In that historically-significant moment, a proud people chose Reedy Chapel AME Church as the site of
The first church building was lost to the great fire of 1885 that consumed forty square blocks of Galveston’s east end. The existing Reedy Chapel was built the following year during the pastorate of the Reverend J. E. Edwards. E.F. Campbell was the contractor and the masonry was laid by the renowned Norris Wright Cuney, a Reedy parishioner. The building, designed by Benjamin G. Chisholm, combines gothic revival architecture with regional craftsmanship and is distinguished by the pyramid-roofed tower rising out of its body; the steeply pitched roof consists of a heavy timber scissor truss framing system.
The sanctuary features an arched ceiling of polished wood enhanced and supported by decorative beams. The 1876 Hook and Hastings tracker action pipe organ with its High Victorian Gothic case was sold by Trinity Episcopal Church in about 1912. Reedy Chapel purchased the organ from Gorgan Music for $100; it is one of only two organs of this type in the country. Directly in front of the pipe organ is the pulpit area, flanked on each side by seats for the choir; the hand crafted altar rail forms a semi-circle in front of the pulpit and choir stand. The baptismal font and lectern are original and are crafted of oak with the same hand-carved detailing found throughout the church. The three chairs for the ministers’ use, as well as the three-tiered chandeliers, date to the early 1900s. The stained-glass windows are original works of art donated by individual parishioners and church organizations.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 9, 2008. This page has been viewed 3,263 times since then and 54 times this year. Last updated on February 25, 2013, by SB Gillins of Galveston, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 9, 2008, by SB Gillins of Galveston, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on March 10, 2008, by SB Gillins of Galveston, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.