Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Leadenhall Baptist Church
The church was designed and built by Joseph B. Thomas and Son, Baptists and local manufacturers of building materials and furniture. The Thomas family commissions included the City Council chambers of Baltimore City Hall (George A. Frederick, architect, 1867-75), and the interiors of Grace Methodist Episcopal Church (now Metropolitan United Methodist, Frank E. Davis, 1874) and First English Lutheran Church (now New Shiloh Baptist, Frank E. Davis, 1874).
The original appearance of the church is recorded in the 1885 engraving shown above.
Erected by the City of Baltimore, Dr. and Mrs. Eddie R. Wilson, Jr., sponsor, and William Donald Schaefer, mayor.
Marker series. Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
Location. 39° 16.765′ N, 76° 37.083′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of South Sharp Street and West Henrietta Street, on the left when traveling south on South Sharp Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21230, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Solo Gibbs Park ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Struggling For Equality ( about 500 feet away); Federal Hill and Otterbein ( about 600 feet away); Ebenezer AME Church ( about 800 feet away); From Bricks and Pianos to Football ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Richard H. Trainor ( approx. 0.3 miles away); Wrestling in Maryland ( approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Otterbein Church ( approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 18, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,556 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 18, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.