Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bandy Music Hall
Music has always been an important part of the ministry of Toccoa Falls College. However, in 1958, this fact was in jeopardy as the school was faced with the possibility of losing its music department. Fire destroyed Ring Music Hall, and school administrators rushed to find ways to keep the program going. Dr. and Mrs. Forrest were adamant: somehow the music department would remain and continue to grow. Music was a daily part of their lives and they keenly understood the importance of praise and worship. Therefore, faculty and staff were relentless in prayer asking God the music facility.
Plans were drawn up and included a larger facility that would be used for the recently approved B.S. major in sacred music. Before his death in 1958, Dr. Forrest walked over the proposed site for the new music building and dedicated it to God. He believed the lord would supply the money needed for reconstruction. The estimated cost of the new music building was fifty thousand dollars. When thirty thousand was raised construction began. By the time the building was completed in 1960, Dr. and Mrs. Forrest had died, but the sound of worship and praise on the campus of Toccoa Falls continued.
The new administration, led by Dr. Julian Bandy, had the privilege of dedicating a new debt-free facility. Later, the music building was
This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated by alumni from classes 1936-1976.
Erected 2007 by Toccoa Falls Alumni from Classes 1936-1976.
Location. 34° 35.567′ N, 83° 21.517′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is on Brandy Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morrison Hall - Old Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Alan Todd Yearwood Memorial Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Forrest Hall - Ball Field (within shouting distance of this marker); Paul & Mary Williams Memorial Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Dining Hall & Chapel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stewart Hall (about 300 feet away); Ring Music Hall Woerner World Missions Center (about 300 feet away); The Tents (about 400 feet away); Administration Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 2, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 332 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 2, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.