Hartsville in Bartholomew County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Founded 1847 A.D.
Citizens of Hartsville. It was taken over by the Church of the United Brethren in Christ in 1849 - Opened as a college in 1850 - Burned January 30, 1898 - It was one of the first co-educational colleges in America.
Courses of Study
Preparatory to College Classical, Scientific and Teachers
The purpose of the founders was to establish an institution for higher Christian education
This stone erected in the year 1927 by students and teachers in appreciation of its benign influence
Location. 39° 16.087′ N, 85° 41.906′ W. Marker is in Hartsville, Indiana, in Bartholomew County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of E. Harrison St (State Road 46) and N. Jackson St. Touch for map. Marker is located in the center of the community square/park. Marker is in this post office area: Hartsville IN 47244, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Private Barton W. Mitchell (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Hartsville College (within shouting distance of this marker); Atterbury Army Air Field Decatur County (Indiana) Bridge 140 (approx. 10.7 miles away); Westport Covered Bridge (approx. 10.8 miles away); Madison and Indianapolis Railroad (approx. 11 miles away); Kellar Grist Mill (approx. 14 miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 331 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.