Bellaire in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
South End Land Company advertisements, targeted to midwestern farmers, noted that Bellaire (“Good Air”) was named for the area's Gulf breezes. The original townsite was bounded by Palmetto, First, Jessamine, and Sixth (now Ferris) streets. Bellaire Boulevard and an electric streetcar line connected Bellaire to Houston. The town was incorporated in 1918, and C.P. Younts served as first mayor.
The post-war building boom in the late 1940s and early 1950s resulted in rapid population growth. Completely surrounded by the expanding city of Houston by 1949, Bellaire nevertheless retained its independence and its own city government.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10614.)
Location. Touch for map. The marker is located in front of Bellaire City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7008 S Rice Ave, Bellaire TX 77401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bellaire Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bellaire Streetcar Line (approx. 0.2 miles away); Texan Capture of Mexican Dispatches (approx. 0.3 miles away); Teas Nursery Company (approx. 1.1 miles away); City of West University Place (approx. 2 miles away); Astrodome (approx. 3.8 miles away); Forum of Civics of River Oaks Garden Club (approx. 4.1 miles away); Holcombe House (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellaire.
Also see . . .
1. City of Bellaire Website. (Submitted on March 19, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Bellaire Historical Society. (Submitted on March 19, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. Profile of the City of Bellaire. (Submitted on March 19, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
4. Bellaire in Wikipedia. (Submitted on March 19, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
5. Bellaire in The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on March 19, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 433 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 19, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.