Fort Lauderdale in Broward County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Fort Lauderdale Village
Erected 2004 by The Fort Lauderdale Historical Society and the Florida Department of State
Location. 26° 7.139′ N, 80° 8.746′ W. Marker is in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, in Broward County. Marker is on SW 2nd Avenue near SW 2nd Street when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 Southwest 2nd Avenue, Fort Lauderdale FL 33301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Replica 1899 School House (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonial Hotel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oliver Building (about 600 feet away); Museum Building (about 600 feet away); Fort Lauderdale, Florida. (approx. half a mile away); The Stranahan House (approx. half a mile away); Ivy Julia Cromartie Stranahan (approx. half a mile away); The Lewis Family (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Lauderdale.
Regarding Old Fort Lauderdale Village. This 1905 hotel was the first property in Broward County to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is Broward’s oldest remaining hotel building, and it was constructed for owner Philemon Bryan by Edwin T. King, the area’s first contractor. Built of hollow concrete blocks made with sand barged from the beach, it set the standard for south Florida construction. The hotel,
Also see . . . Fort Lauderdale Historical Society. (Submitted on November 27, 2012, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
Additional keywords. New River Inn
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2012, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This page has been viewed 687 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on March 24, 2013, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 27, 2012, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.