Salem in Marion County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Founded in 1840 by Methodist missionaries,
Became territorial capital in 1852,
An incorporated city in 1857,
Permanent capital of Oregon in 1864.
W. D. Pugh designed this city hall. Under construction in 1893.
Engraved under the marker:
Cornerstone Plaque from old city hall located on this site 1893 - 1972
Erected by Marion County.
Location. 44° 56.503′ N, 123° 2.181′ W. Marker is in Salem, Oregon, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street Northeast and Chemeketa Street Northeast, on the right when traveling south on High Street Northeast. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 295 High Street Northeast, Salem OR 97301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. T.G. Bligh Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Herbert Hoover Boyhood Home (approx. 1.4 miles away); Turner (approx. 8 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2013, by Ddtfamily of Turner, Oregon. This page has been viewed 381 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 29, 2013, by Ddtfamily of Turner, Oregon. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.