Coalinga in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
First Presbyterian Church of Coalinga
Built 1908 – Dismantled 1981
April 2, 1908
“Celebration at Coalinga opera house, orator drops dead. 2nd anniversary of city incorporation. Rev. Z.L. Nesbutt made an excellent address when he sat down and fell over into the lap of M.F. Tarpey of Fesno. He came from Madera and started here in June 1907."
November 24th 1908
The new Presbyterian Church
"Building now in the North west part of town. A monster church, 40’ by 60’ overall with a 20-foot ceiling. Opens to the east. Will cost ($)4500.00. Will change Coalinga from a town to a city."
The first minister was Rev. Charles N. Thomas from Oct. 1906 thru May 1907. The second minister was Rev. Felix Nesbitt from June 1907 to March 26, 1908. Before then, they met in any building that was empty on a Sunday morning such as the Opera House or firehouse. This church became affectionately known as Wallace Hall in later years. Named after Rev. W.C. Wallace, who served two different terms here. Rev. Richard Halverson served here from Oct. 1944 through Sept. 1947, later to become the Chaplain for the United States Senate where he served for twelve years
Erected by Coalinga Lions Club.
Location. 36° 8.426′ N, 120° 21.845′ W. Marker is in Coalinga, California, in Fresno Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 475 Sunset Avenue, Coalinga CA 93210, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Coalinga Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Coalinga Woman’s Club (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); B.M. Food Market (about 500 feet away); “Dr. Bill” (about 500 feet away); St. Paul’s Catholic Church (about 500 feet away); The Bertrich Block (about 500 feet away); The Phelps Building (about 500 feet away); Liberty “Airdome Theater” (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coalinga.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 31, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 31, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.