Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dining Hall & Chapel
One morning after breakfast at Staley Cottage, Richard Forrest came down to what is now the center of campus. In 1914, with a brier hook and an ax, he cleared a spot for a permanent dining room and kitchen. Then everyone assembled in the opening for prayer. With the Forrest in the lead, faculty, staff, and students held hands and marched around the clearing, claiming it in the name of the Lord for a dining room. The money came one week at a time until the dining room and kitchen were built. The students did most of the labor, aided by a friend from Atlanta, who was a builder. After this building was completed work began on the second structure, which would house the chapel. It was completed in 1918. However, the upper story of classrooms and offices remained unfinished due to the lack of funds until 1920. Finally, Mrs. Forrest decided something had to be done, and she knew God had the answer. She led the students and faculty in a prayer service that concluded with a walk of faith over the unfinished flooring. A few weeks later, the Forrests received a check from Mrs. Lyman Stewart with a note attached: "For the new chapel."
"What exciting times there were," wrote Evelyn Forrest, "times of great faith."
This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated by the Toccoa
Erected 2007 by Toccoa Falls Academy Class of 1971.
Location. 34° 35.583′ N, 83° 21.467′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is on Bandy Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stewart Hall (here, next to this marker); Woerner World Missions Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Forrest Hall - Ball Field (within shouting distance of this marker); Paul & Mary Williams Memorial Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tents (within shouting distance of this marker); Administration Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); LeTourneau Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Bandy Music Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ring Music Hall (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 227 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 9, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.