Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ocean City in Worcester County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Eastern End of Transpeninsular Line Between Maryland and Three Lower Counties of Pennsylvania

(Now Delaware)

 

(Fenwick Island)

 
Eastern End of Transpeninsular Line Between Maryland and Three Lower Counties of Pennsylvania Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2013
1. Eastern End of Transpeninsular Line Between Maryland and Three Lower Counties of Pennsylvania Marker
Inscription. First run 1751, Agreed upon 1760 and finally ratified 1769 by King George, III, thus ending almost a century of controversy between the proprietors of the two provinces.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Location. 38° 27.03′ N, 75° 3.144′ W. Marker is in Ocean City, Maryland, in Worcester County. Marker is on Coastal Highway (Maryland Route 528), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is in the median of the Coastal Highway (MD 528) at 145th Street, a block south of the Transpeninsular Line which runs along 146th Street. Marker is in this post office area: Ocean City MD 21842, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fenwick Island Lighthouse (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line in Delaware); The History of the Lighthouse (about 800 feet away in Delaware); Transpeninsular Line (about 800 feet away in Delaware); Mason and Dixon Line-Survey Start (about 800 feet away in Delaware); a different marker also named The Fenwick Island Lighthouse
Eastern End of Transpeninsular Line Between Maryland and Three Lower Counties of Pennsylvania Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2013
2. Eastern End of Transpeninsular Line Between Maryland and Three Lower Counties of Pennsylvania Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away in Delaware); Old Sound Methodist Church (approx. 4.9 miles away in Delaware); Our Community's Role in World War II (third marker) (approx. 6 miles away in Delaware); Our Community's Role in World War II (first marker) (approx. 6 miles away in Delaware).
 
Also see . . .  Initial Marker of the Transpenisular Line, WO-118. Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties. (Submitted on February 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
The Marker, BB&T Bank and the Fenwick Island Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2013
3. The Marker, BB&T Bank and the Fenwick Island Lighthouse
The 1767 stone marker at the east end of the Transpeninsular Line is at the base of the lighthouse.
1767 Stone Marker at the Eastern End of the Transpeninsular Line image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 28, 2007
4. 1767 Stone Marker at the Eastern End of the Transpeninsular Line
At the base of the Fenwick Island Lighthouse
1969 Photo by M. Bourne image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne
5. 1969 Photo by M. Bourne
This 1969 photo by Michael Bourne shows a similar, but not identical, marker. (from Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties nomination form msa_se5_29489)
Welcome to Ocean City image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2013
6. Welcome to Ocean City
The Welcome sign is just south of the historical marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 514 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on April 12, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement