Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ralls Dormitory & Broom Factory
A building to be used as a print shop was constructed by the Kiwanis Club and the citizens of Toccoa on the site later occupied by Ralls Dormitory. The plan for a print shop never developed, so the building was turned into a broom factory. But the broom factory proved unsuccessful. In 1923, the building was made into a men's dormitory. fire destroyed the building in 1931.
In a sense, the depression affected Toccoa Falls Institute for good. Because of it, a C.C.C. (Civilian Conservation Corps) Camp was started in north Georgia in 1933; it was located on property leased from the school across from the Toccoa Falls Elementary School. The C.C.C. boys assisted in reforestation and built roads, paths, and firebreaks throughout the nearby woods. They laid a walk of native stone from Gate Cottage to Falls Park. In this way, they improved the appearance of the campus. The school also benefited insofar as food was concerned, for when too much was prepared for the C.C.C. boys, the cooks sent the balance to the Falls kitchen.
When this camp was disbanded, the Government turned over to the Institute lumber representing more than $4,000 in value, including their barracks. In 1934, this building was moved on campus to the location of the former broom factory and renovated into a boy's dorm. New flooring was added, the building
This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated by the Toccoa Falls Academy Classes of 1972-1974.
Erected 2007 by Toccoa Falls Academy Classes of 1972-1974.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 34° 35.583′ N, 83° 21.35′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is on Forrest Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Toccoa Falls College World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); LeTourneau Hall (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Woerner World Missions Center (about 500 feet away); The Tents (about 500 feet away); Administration Building (about 500 feet away); Earl Hall (about 500 feet away); The Bell (about 500 feet away); Dining Hall & Chapel (about 600 feet away); Stewart Hall (about 600 feet away); Ring Music Hall (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 231 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 15, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.