Takoma Park in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Laurel and Carroll Avenues
Takoma Park began in 1889 as a railroad suburb, the first on the Metropolitan branch of the B&O. It was not long, however, before the community was served by electric street-cars. In 1893 the Brightwood Electric Railway began running trolleys between downtown Washington and the 4th and Butternut Streets, NW.
Eventually several streetcar lines served Takoma Park. The picture shows streetcars of the "Dinky Line" on Laurel Avenue , looking toward Carroll Avenue. This route originally went to the Glen Sligo Hotel, near Sligo Creek and what is now New Hampshire Avenue. Later the tracks were changed to run from Eastern and Laurel Avenues to a turnaround at Carroll Avenue and Sligo Creek.
Erected by Historic Takoma, Inc., 1988
Erected 1988 by Historic Takoma, Inc.
Location. 38° 58.47′ N, 77° 0.739′ W. Marker is in Takoma Park, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Laurel Avenue and Carroll Avenue, in the median on Laurel Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in the park at the intersection of Carroll and Laurel Avenues in the center of Takoma Park. Marker is in this post office area: Takoma Park MD 20912, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Roscoe (here, next to this marker); Scott H. Lawson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Original Federal Boundary Stone NE 2 (about 700 feet away in District of Columbia); The Thomas/Siegler House and Garden (approx. ¼ mile away); Takoma Station Tavern (approx. 0.3 miles away in District of Columbia); Founding of Takoma Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Walt Penney Field (approx. 0.6 miles away); Belle Ziegler Park (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Takoma Park.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 392 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 18, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.