Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Uvalde in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Uvalde County

 
 
Uvalde County Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, April 15, 2013
1. Uvalde County Marker
Inscription. Created 1850. Named for canyon which in turn had been named for the Spanish Army Captain Juan de Ugalde, who fought and routed Indians here in 1790. Over the years, "Ugalde" became "Uvalde". Many cattle, sheep, goats are raised; and Uvalde honey is famous for its flavor. Noted for fine hunting and scenic drives. Historic sites marked include 3 old forts, 2 Spanish missions, a Ranger camp. Home of Southwest Texas Junior College, Garner State Park and home (now museum and library) of John Nance Garner, first Texan elected Vice-President of United States. 1965
 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 5619.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
 
Location. 29° 12.613′ N, 99° 47.172′ W. Marker is in Uvalde, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is at the intersection of Getty Street (U.S. 83) and Main Street (U.S. 90), on the right when traveling north on Getty Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Uvalde TX 78801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Uvalde County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Kincaid Hotel (within
Uvalde County Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, April 15, 2013
2. Uvalde County Marker
shouting distance of this marker); Grand Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Texas Wagon Yards (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Inge, Camp Dix, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Reading Wood Black (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Judge John Nance Garner (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1830 - Reading Wood Black - 1867 (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Uvalde.
 
More about this marker. The bronze plaque atop the stone was placed in 1965. The 1936 Texas Centennial - Highway Marker (pink granite) with bronze circle and star was placed in 1936 when Texas placed one of these markers on each courthouse lawn in the state.
 
Additional comments.
1. Original Location and Inscription
The marker was originally installed in 1936 3.9 miles east of Uvalde on US 90. The original marker read:

Created February 8, 1850
Recreated February 2, 1856
Organized April 21, 1856

The county takes its name
from Uvalde Canyon, which
was named for Juan de Ugalde,
Governor of Coahuila in 1778

Uvalde, the county seat


In 1965 the marker was restored, a new inscription tablet with revised text was placed on the marker, and the marker was moved from its original location to its present location.

(Source: Monuments Erected by the State of Texas to Commemorate the Centenary of Texas Independence. Austin, Texas: Commission of Control for Texas Centennial Celebrations, 1938. Page 196.)
    — Submitted July 2, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.

 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 20, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement