Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Edwardsburg in Cass County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

District Schoolhouse

 
 
District Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 21, 2013
1. District Schoolhouse Marker
Inscription. This late-Victorian schoolhouse was built in 1874-75. Constructed at a cost of $3,000, it is made of locally manufactured yellow and red brick. The 1882 Cass County History described it as "the best rural schoolhouse in the State." Its two classrooms could accommodate 110 pupils. The school was used until the local district was absorbed into the Constantine School District in 1959. In 1964 the building became the township hall; and in 1972, the Mason Union Branch of the Cass County Library.
 
Erected 1981 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L821A.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 41° 46.569′ N, 85° 53.862′ W. Marker is near Edwardsburg, Michigan, in Cass County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of U.S. 12 and Kessington Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Mason Township Hall and Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17049 US12, Edwardsburg MI 49112, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Schoolhouse Bell (here, next to this marker); Trout Creek Cemetery
District No. 5 Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 21, 2013
2. District No. 5 Schoolhouse
(approx. 4.5 miles away in Indiana); Cathcart Cemetery (approx. 5.5 miles away in Indiana); Cathcart Memorial / Nicholson Memorial (approx. 5.5 miles away in Indiana); Graves et al v. Indiana (approx. 5.6 miles away in Indiana); Chain Lake Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Trooper Richard T. Gaston, PE# 6679 (approx. 6.3 miles away in Indiana); The History of Boot Lake (approx. 6.4 miles away in Indiana).
 
Regarding District Schoolhouse. District No. 5 Schoolhouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 12, 1985.
 
Categories. Education
 
District No. 5 Schoolhouse and Bell image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 21, 2013
3. District No. 5 Schoolhouse and Bell
View to southwest
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 21, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement