Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Navarre in Santa Rosa County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Dr. Beal's Shell Museum

 
 
Dr. Beal''s Shell Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, April 8, 2013
1. Dr. Beal''s Shell Museum Marker
Inscription. Dr. James Hartley Beal (1861-1945) was an influential pharmacist, chemist, lawyer, educator, and scientist. Despite his busy life, he began collecting land and marine shells, purchasing his first specimen, in 1888. The Fort Walton Beach resident bought this house in early 1928. The building was used by Dr. Beal as his office and housed his extensive shell collection. By 1940, his collection had grown to be one of the largest shell collections in the world. The nearly two million shells were donated to Rollins College, where they remained on display until 1988. They were then transferred to the Florida Museum of Natural History at the University of Florida, Gainesville. The house was extensively remodeled and converted into the Summerhouse Restaurant, which operated there from the 1980s until 2004. It was originally located at 2 Miracle Strip Parkway in Fort Walton Beach. The building was slated for demolition in the fall of 2004. In order to save the building, Dr. Bealís Shell Museum was purchased and moved by barge to its present location.
 
Erected 2007 by Hubert Alan Laird and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-616.)
 
Location. 30° 24.646′ N, 86° 46.568′ W. Marker is in Navarre, Florida
Dr. Beal''s Shell Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, April 8, 2013
2. Dr. Beal''s Shell Museum Marker
, in Santa Rosa County. Marker is on U.S. 98, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Navarre FL 32566, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memory of UH-60M Crew "Mojo 69" (approx. 3.6 miles away); C-46 Commando (approx. 4.5 miles away); 1st Air Commando Group B-25 Medium Bomber (approx. 4.5 miles away); Combat Talon Aircrew S-01 (approx. 4.5 miles away); MH-53 Pave Low (approx. 4.5 miles away); Operation Kingpin (approx. 4.5 miles away); Combat Talon Aircrew S-59 (approx. 4.5 miles away); HH-3E "Jolly Green Giant" (approx. 4.5 miles away).
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2013, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 409 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on April 21, 2013. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2013, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement