Silver Creek in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Swift Mansion
It was acquired for Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish in 1914, through the efforts of Msgr. E.J. O'Connor. The mansion was used as a convent during the pastoral service of the Rev. Thomas Ciolino.
Restoration of the mansion, as a parish center and rectory began in 1984, under the guidance of the Rev. Claude H. Bicheler, to whom this plaque is dedicated.
Erected 1987 by The Silver Creek Historical Society.
Location. 42° 32.696′ N, 79° 10.242′ W. Marker is in Silver Creek, New York, in Chautauqua County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Central Avenue (New York State Route 5) and Parkway Avenue. Touch for map. Located on the left of the entrance to the rectory. Marker is at or near this postal address: 165 Central Avenue, Silver Creek NY 14136, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ehmke Family Home (approx. half a mile away); American Revolution (approx. 2½ miles away); Site of First Settlement (approx. 3.2 miles away); Amos Sottle Everett R. Burmaster (approx. 3.4 miles away); The King from Hanover (approx. 3.7 miles away); Birthplace of Mary Smith Lockwood (approx. 4.4 miles away); George F. Abbott (approx. 5.3 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 336 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 23, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.