Walnut Creek in Lenoir County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Gov. Arthur Dobbs. From
it were formed Wayne,
1779, Lenoir and Glasgow
(now Greene), 1791. Courthouse
was 3 miles S.
Erected 1973 by Office of Archives and History. (Marker Number F-25.)
Location. 35° 19.046′ N, 77° 51.102′ W. Marker is in Walnut Creek, North Carolina, in Lenoir County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 70 and South Beston Road (State Highway 1719), on the right when traveling east on U.S. 70. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Grange NC 28551, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dobbs County Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Dobbs County Court House (approx. 2.4 miles away); James Y. Joyner (approx. 3.6 miles away); William Dunn Moseley (approx. 3.7 miles away); Engagement at Whitehall (approx. 6.2 miles away); The Battle of Whitehall (approx. 6.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Whitehall (approx. 6.2 miles away); Seymour Johnson Air Force Base (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Walnut Creek.
Regarding Dobbs County.
In 1779 Dobbs County was divided and the county seat was moved to Kingston (modern Kinston) where Richard Caswell, then Governor of the new state of North Carolina, owned property. Walnut Creek became the seat of the new county of Wayne, formed from the western half of Dobbs. The records in the old courthouse, however, moved with the Dobbs County records to Kingston.
Dobbs County, the name a constant reminder of the old regime, was abolished in 1791 and two new counties were formed. They were Lenoir, named for William Lenoir, speaker of the state senate, and Glasgow, named for James Glasgow, Secretary of State. When Glasgow was found guilty of land fraud, the name of that county was changed to Greene, in honor of Revolutionary War hero General Nathanael Greene.(North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 29, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.