Near Buchanan in Berrien County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Portage Prairie United Methodist Church
Persuaded by reports of good land from the Reverend John Seybert, Bishop of the Ohio Conference, the Jacob and David Rough families came to Portage Prairie from Pennsylvania in the spring of 1849. In 1851 they organized the Zion Evangelical Church. The denomination merged with the United Evangelical Church in 1922 and with the United Brethren Church in 1946. This church was renamed the Portage Prairie United Methodist Church in 1968.
In 1887 the Reverend J.A. Frye sparked a religious revival that inspired the construction of this Gothic Revival Church. Embellished with oak details, the church cost $7,200 and was debt-free upon its dedication. Its 100-foot steeple was removed in 1919 due to severe electrical storms. Evangelical pioneers had worshipped in a log schoolhouse until 1859, when they built a yellow brick church. That structure was replaced by the present church.
Erected 1989 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1368A.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 46.98′ N, 86° 20.408′ W. Marker is near Buchanan, Michigan, in Berrien Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2450 Orange Rd, Niles MI 49120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pears Mill (approx. 3.2 miles away); Parc Aux Vaches (approx. 3.9 miles away); St. Joseph's Mission (approx. 3.9 miles away); Bertrand (approx. 4.1 miles away); Carey Mission (approx. 4.3 miles away); Fort St. Joseph (approx. 4½ miles away); Father Claude Jean Allouez S. J. (approx. 4.7 miles away); Saint Mary’s (approx. 4.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Portage Prairie United Methodist Church. (Submitted on April 29, 2013.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 366 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 27, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.