College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Terrapin Memorial
—McKeldin Library, University of Maryland —
Official mascot of the
University of Maryland
at College Park
Presented on Class Day, May 1933
Base presented by the
1933 Student Government Association
and the 1933 Reveille Student Yearbook
Aristide B. Cianfarani, sculptor
Gorham Manufacturing Company, Casting
Howard W. Cutler, AIA, Base Design
Rededicated October 16, 1993
in celebration of the 60th reunion of the
Class of 1933
Restoration of the statue and base in 1993
was funded by gifts from the Class of Class of 1933,
the Maryland Association of Midshipmen,
and the Terrapin Tag Team
Erected 1993 by Class of 1933.
Location. 38° 59.158′ N, 76° 56.662′ W. Marker is in College Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from McKeldin Mall. Touch for map. Marker is on the west face of the statue's pedestal, in front of the University's McKeldin Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: west end, College Park MD 20742, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Juan Ramón Jiménez (within shouting distance of this marker); Millard E. Tydings (about 500 feet Morrill Hall (about 600 feet away); Woods Hall Rain Garden (about 600 feet away); Omicron Delta Kappa (about 700 feet away); Architectural History of the Maryland Agricultural College (approx. 0.2 miles away); R. Lee Hornbake Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); University of Maryland Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Park.
Also see . . .
1. The Diamondback Terrapin. (Submitted on May 2, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. McKeldin Mall. (Submitted on May 11, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. alma mater; mascot; Diamondback Tortoise; "Fear the Turtle"; McKeldin Mall
Categories. • Animals • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 336 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 30, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on May 2, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.