Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ojo Caliente in Taos County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Santa Cruz

† † †

 
 
Santa Cruz Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 28, 2013
1. Santa Cruz Marker
Inscription. The Santa Cruz Catholic Church was built after 1793 and was licensed on January 13, 1811, and blessed on January 3, 1812.

The restoration of the historic Santa Cruz Catholic Church of Ojo Caliente, New Mexico, began in April, 1991, by the community of Ojo Caliente and other volunteers, assisted by the New Mexico Community Foundation. It was completed on September 16, 1994. The blessing and rededication by Archbishop Michael Sheehan occurred on September 24, 1994.
 
Location. 36° 18.171′ N, 106° 2.845′ W. Marker is in Ojo Caliente, New Mexico, in Taos County. Marker is on State Road 414 just west of U.S. 285 when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ojo Caliente NM 87549, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. El Rito (approx. 8.1 miles away); a different marker also named El Rito (approx. 8.3 miles away); Welcome to the Church of San Juan Nepomuceno (approx. 8.4 miles away); Rio Grande Gaging Station (approx. 9 miles away); Velarde (approx. 9.9 miles away); Agueda S. Martinez (1898–2000) (approx. 12.5 miles away); Historic Los Luceros (approx. 13.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  The Ojo Caliente Land Grant
Santa Cruz and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 28, 2013
2. Santa Cruz and Marker
. Monograph by Malcolm Ebright on the New Mexico Office of the State Historian website. “Governor [Fernando de la] Concha provided that ‘the watering places on the Ojo Caliente River [were] common between [the grantees] and the balance of the citizens of Rio Arriba,’ with the condition that the neighboring stockmen cause no damage to the fields of the Ojo Caliente settlers as their cattle approached the Ojo Caliente River to slake their thirst. When Alcalde Manuel García de la Mora placed the grantees in possession of the land at Ojo Caliente, he specified the boundaries as: north, the Cañada de los Comanches; south, a landmark ‘of stone and mortar with a holy cross made of cedar placed in the center;’ east, the foothills; and west, the foothills on the other side of the river. The southern landmark containing a cross of cedar was undoubtedly connected to the official name for the mission at Ojo Caliente: Santa Cruz de Ojo Caliente. It is not clear which foothills García de la Mora intended, however, but it seems clear that Ojo Caliente was intended to be a community grant with common grazing lands.” (Submitted on May 1, 2013.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Closeup to the Right of the Doors image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 28, 2013
3. Closeup to the Right of the Doors
“Clapper to the old La Santa Cruz Catholic Church Bell.”
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 363 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 1, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement