Queens in Queens County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Main Magazine of Fort Totten
Within the northeast corner of the Fort Totten Water Battery lies the “Main Magazine”. The Main Magazine consists of three vaulted rooms. The two larger rooms, numbers two and three, were used to store gun powder, while room number one was used to fill packets for cannons. Construction for the foundation of the Main Magazine began 1868 and was completed in 1873. Upon completion, the Main Magazine was covered with earth. The Main Magazine is constructed of re-enforced concrete and brick, with walls ranging from seventeen to thirty-six inches thick. The ceiling height in these rooms is 14 feet, measured at the crown of the arch. The electrical wiring found throughout the Main Magazine signifies efforts to modify the fort as new technologies and priorities developed.
Erected by City of New York Parks & Recreation.
Location. 40° 47.789′ N, 73° 46.72′ W. Marker is in Queens, New York, in Queens County. Marker can be reached from Ordinance Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located at the water battery at Fort Totten. Marker is in this post office area: Bayside NY 11359, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Totten Park Fort Totten Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Flushing Civil War Monument (approx. 3˝ miles away); Quaker Meeting House (approx. 3.6 miles away); Friends Meeting House (approx. 3.6 miles away); St . Peter's Church Westchester (approx. 4˝ miles away); William A. Shea Municipal Stadium (was approx. 4.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Flushing Meadows Corona Park (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Queens.
More about this marker. A diagram of the Main Magazine, showing all three rooms, appears at the right side of the marker.
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 6, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 368 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 6, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.