Bastrop in Bastrop County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First National Bank of Bastrop
Organized as "Bank of Bastrop County," in March 1889; became a national bank on Aug. 10, 1889.
Presidents of this bank have been J.C. Buchanan, B.D. Orgain, W.A. McCord, W.B. Ransome, Earl C. Erhard and Gates B. Mack.
Present Structure built 1950. Is on site of 1860's law office of Geo. W. Jones and J.D. Sayers; each served Texas as Lieutenant Governor and U. S. Congressman. Sayers was governor, 1899-1903.
Noted trading store of John Swan Johnson also stood here.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9188.)
Location. 30° 6.687′ N, 97° 19.206′ W. Marker is in Bastrop, Texas, in Bastrop County. Marker is on Main Street south of Spring Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marked is mounted on the wall of the Calvary Episcopal Church. Marker is in this post office area: Bastrop TX 78602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bastrop Advertiser (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Bastrop (about 700 feet away); Bastrop County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Felipe Henrique Neri, Baron de Bastrop (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain James Burleson (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Bastrop Military Institute (approx. ¼ mile away); H. P. Luckett House (approx. ¼ mile away); Thomas H. Mays (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bastrop.
More about this marker. The bank is now located across the street from this original location.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 6, 2013, by Ross Perkins of Cedar Creek, Texas. This page has been viewed 413 times since then and 20 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on May 6, 2013, by Ross Perkins of Cedar Creek, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?