Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Boy High School
The original Anderson High School sat on the corner of North Fant and East Calhoun Streets. All grade levels were taught despite being called a high school. This school burned down in 1904 and was rebuilt the following year. Due to overcrowding, students of Anderson High School continued to be placed in several different school locations. To alleviate the problem, the school board contracted architect J.M. Baldwin to draw plans for a new school. The school board purchased two lots of land on the corner of Greenville and North McDuffie Streets. The new building was completed in 1918. In September of 1918, Anderson High School opened for the first time at 200 Greenville Street.
The high school caught fire in 1921, which consumed the auditorium and ruined the entire south side of the building. In that year, the school board decided there was a need for two high schools, one school for the girls and the other for the boys. The school board's rational for the separation was to allow each school to teach subjects and skills beneficial to each gender. The newly renovated Anderson High School became Girls High School.
The new school building was named Anderson Boys High School and located on the corner of South McDuffie and Broyles Street. Opening day was September 3, 1923. Four acres of land behind Boys High School
In 1961, the decision was made that students would no longer be separated by gender. By September 1962, the students from both high schools were reunited into one school for the first time since 1923. The students began school for the 1962-63 school year in the school built further out on Greenville Street and was named T.L. Hannah High School. The Boys High School building was used for extracurricular classes. Later it was reopened as a vocational high school and renamed McDuffie High School. Major renovations occurred which changed the appearance of the building so that the only thing left of the original Boys High School today is the left arched entranceway.
Boys High Mural sponsored by Boys High and Hannah High (Girls High) Class of 1962.
Location. 34° 30.6′ N, 82° 38.95′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on East Greenville Street (State Highway 81), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Lawrence Orr (here, next to this marker); Orr Monument (here, next to this marker); "Old Reformer" Cannon (a few steps from this marker); Girls High School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Reformer (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Anderson Memorial Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Frierson School House (within shouting distance of this marker); McGee Harness Shop (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Virginia "Jennie" Gilmer (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anderson County Library (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
More about this marker. The title of the marker should read "Boys High School."
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 441 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 13, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.