Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Shinglehouse in McKean County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ceres

 
 
Ceres Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 26, 2013
1. Ceres Marker
Inscription. One mile south of here the first permanent white settlement in present McKean County was made in 1798 by Francis King, agent and surveyor for the John Keating land company of Philadelphia.
 
Erected 1949 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 41° 59.923′ N, 78° 16.126′ W. Marker is near Shinglehouse, Pennsylvania, in McKean County. Marker is at the intersection of Ceres Road (Pennsylvania Route 44) and Kings Run Road, on the right when traveling south on Ceres Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shinglehouse PA 16748, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ceres School (approx. 0.2 miles away in New York); Lesuer House (approx. 6 miles away in New York); Early Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away in New York); This Is Oil Country! (approx. 6.9 miles away in New York); Saint Mary's Church (approx. 7 miles away); One Mile East of this Spot (approx. 8.6 miles away in New York); Mount Equity Plantation (approx. 9.3 miles away); 1804-2004 (approx. 9.8 miles away in New York).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Ceres Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 26, 2013
2. Ceres Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 310 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement