San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Dolphin Swimming and Boating Club
It was founded in 1877 as a small boat club at the water's edge at Bay and Leavenworth. In 1895 it moved into a new boathouse, now a portion of this building, at the foot of Van Ness. In 1938 it was moved, along with its neighbor the South End Rowing Club, to its present location, to make room for the Maritime Museum building. Throughout their history these clubs' activities have been instrumental in Aquatic Park as an active recreation area amid the city's press of modern urban growth.
Originally the Dolphin Club had twenty-five male members. Since 1976, it has included women members and, with its open membership policy, by 1989 membership has grown to over 800.
Since its founding, Dolphin Club members have built, used and maintained a fleet of traditional wooden rowing craft, passing the required skills among each other, while enjoying the adventure of rowing on the Bay.
In addition to providing access to swimming at Aquatic Park, the Dolphin Club sponsors for its members an annual race across the Golden Gate and other swims between landmark locations in the Bay.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 502 Jefferson Street, San Francisco CA 94109, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The South End Rowing Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Triple-Expansion Steam Engine (within shouting distance of this marker); Steam Donkey Engine (within shouting distance of this marker); San Francisco Bay "Ark" (within shouting distance of this marker); Hyde Street Pier (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sanitation at Sea (about 300 feet away); The Carpenter Shop... (about 400 feet away); The Tubbs Cordage Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
Also see . . . The Dolphin Club - History. A history of the Dolphin Club from its founding in 1877, presented in timeline fashion. (Submitted on August 19, 2013.)
Categories. • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2013, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 403 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 28, 2013, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2, 3. submitted on May 29, 2013, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.