Rustburg in Campbell County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number R-62.)
Location. 37° 16.613′ N, 79° 6.069′ W. Marker is in Rustburg, Virginia, in Campbell County. Marker is on Village Highway (Route 501) near Rails End Lane (County Route 838), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. It is in front of the courthouse. Marker is mounted with its face is parallel to the street so it is hard to spot in the distance from a moving vehicle. Marker is in this post office area: Rustburg VA 24588, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Col. Vincent W. “Squeek” Burnett (approx. 3.4 miles away); Montview Lynchburg Defenses (approx. 7.1 miles away); Chestnut Hill (approx. 7.4 miles away); Oxford Furnace (approx. 7.6 miles away); Mount Athos (approx. 7.7 miles away); Shady Grove (approx. 7.9 miles away but has been reported missing); Grave of John Lynch (approx. 8.3 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker replaced a marker from the 1930s with the same name and number that read “The place was named for Jeremiah Rust, who patented land here in 1780. The first courthouse of Campbell County was built here, in 1783; the present building was erected about 1848. The old ĎFountain Hotelí was built in 1795 and has been conducted by the Finch family ever since.”
Also see . . . Campbell Chronicles and Family Sketches, Chapter IV, Small Towns and Villages. Transcript of 1927 book by R. H. Early. Rustburg is the second entry. “Long Mountain, rising above the meadow upon which the town of Rustburg is situated, at one time bore the name of Rustís Mountain; It stretches the length of six or more miles, and a cave on one side is said to have harbored Tories and outlaws during the Revolution. It is one of two detached mountain (Submitted on May 28, 2013.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 276 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 28, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the Fountain Hotel • Can you help?