Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The John A. Wilson Building

 
 
The John A. Wilson Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, March 18, 2008
1. The John A. Wilson Building Marker
Inscription. The John A. Wilson Building is headquarters of the local government that serves the nearly 600,000 citizens who call the Nation's capital their home. The Mayor and the 13-member Council, elected by residents of the District of Columbia, oversee all functions similar to those of city, county and state governments across America. Dedicated as the District Building on July 4, 1908, it was renamed in 1998 for John A. Wilson, a former Council chairman. The marble and granite Beaux Artes style building was designed, after a national competition, by the Philadelphia architectural firm of Cope and Stewardson. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. An extensive restoration and expansion with a contemporary six-floor addition designed by the architectural firm of Shalom Baranes Associates was completed in 2001.

For much of its history the District was governed by three commissioners appointed by the President of the United States. In 1973 the Congress enacted the District of Columbia Home Act that gave residents the right to elect the Mayor and Council yet maintained congressional jurisdiction over the District. The struggle for increased home rule and voting rights continues today for residents of the Nation's capital who pay federal taxes but, unlike other Americans, have no voting representation in
The John August Wilson image. Click for full size.
By University of Maryland, Eastern Shore
2. The John August Wilson
Congress.
 
Erected 2003.
 
Location. 38° 53.725′ N, 77° 1.879′ W. Marker is in Downtown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker can be reached from Pennsylvania Avenue, NW 0.1 miles east of 14th Street, NW, (U.S. 1). Touch for map. Marker is visible from the sidewalk, just east of the building's main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1350 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC 20004, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington, DC: Capital and City (a few steps from this marker); Alexander Robey Shepherd (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Seal of the United States (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Western Plaza, Pennsylvania Avenue (about 300 feet away); John J. Pershing, General of the Armies (1860-1948) (about 400 feet away); Julia Ward Howe (about 400 feet away); The New Willard (about 400 feet away); Brigadier General Casimir Pulaski (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Downtown.
 
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia entry for the John A. Wilson Building. (Submitted on October 18, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Wikipedia entry for Alexander Robey ("Boss") Shepherd. A statue of Shepherd
Christine Evans, Mark Plotkin, Rashaad Malik Latta, Hilda Mason, Christian Cropp image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 28, 2015
3. Christine Evans, Mark Plotkin, Rashaad Malik Latta, Hilda Mason, Christian Cropp
Close-up of photo on marker
stands outside the NW corner of the Wilson Building. See below picture. (Submitted on October 18, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.) 

3. John Augustus Wilson. (Submitted on June 6, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
 
Additional keywords. Alexander R. Shepherd.
 
Categories. African AmericansGovernmentNotable PersonsPolitics
 
The John A. Wilson Building image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, March 18, 2008
4. The John A. Wilson Building
Viewed from Freedom Plaza in the center of Pennsylvania Avenue.
MCMIV<br>(1904)<br>The John A. Wilson Building image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 28, 2015
5. MCMIV
(1904)
The John A. Wilson Building
Freedom Plaza, 14th and Pennsylvania, NW. image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, March 18, 2008
6. Freedom Plaza, 14th and Pennsylvania, NW.
John A. Wilson Building, center right.
Alexander R. "Boss" Shepherd (1835-1902), image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, July 13, 2008
7. Alexander R. "Boss" Shepherd (1835-1902),
Statue of "The Father of Modern Washington" outside the NW corner of the Wilson Bldg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 22, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,338 times since then and 55 times this year. Last updated on June 6, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos:   1. submitted on March 22, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   2. submitted on June 6, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   3. submitted on January 1, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   4. submitted on March 22, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   5. submitted on January 1, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   6. submitted on March 22, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   7. submitted on October 18, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement