Whitetop in Grayson County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
“Virginia Creeper” Railroad
Erected 2002 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number UE-10.)
Location. 36° 35.977′ N, 81° 37.575′ W. Marker is in Whitetop, Virginia, in Grayson County. Marker is at the intersection of Whitetop Gap Road (County Route 726) and Old Park Road (County Route 755) on Whitetop Gap Road. Touch for map. It is at the reproduction of Whitetop Station on the Virginia Creeper National Recreation Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Whitetop VA 24292, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Christmas Tree Farms (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Green Cove Station (approx. 1.7 miles away); “Maud Bows to The Virginia Creeper” (approx. 1.7 miles away); Whitetop (approx. 1.8 miles away); White Top Folk Festival (approx. 3 miles away); John Deere Mower Model 2 (approx. 7˝ miles away); Grayson County (approx. 7.6 miles away); Laurel Bloomery (approx. 7.7 miles away in Tennessee). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Whitetop.
Regarding “Virginia Creeper” Railroad. This railroad line had the highest point on rails east of the Rocky Mountains ever reached by a scheduled passenger train, 3,557 feet above sea level.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia Entry for the Virginia Creeper Trail. “The trail runs on a rail right-of-way dating to the 1880s — first belonging to the Abingdon Coal and Iron Railroad. After investing sizable capital without actually opening, that company went out of business. In the early 1890s the company's assets were purchased by the Virginia-Carolina and Southern Railway. It too had financial trouble and its assets were purchased by the Virginia-Carolina Railway.
“In February 1900, the Virginia-Carolina Railway began operating in Damascus, Virginia. By 1912, the railroad extended to
“In 1957 the last steam engine retired, replaced by diesel powered engines. By 1974, the Norfolk and Western Railroad Company petitioned the Interstate Commerce Commission to abandon the line. In 1977 hard rains flooded and damaged most of the line, which was left un-repaired.
“In 1977 removal of the track began and the land in Virginia was secured by the US Forest Service for a recreation trail. The land in North Carolina was returned to the land owners. In Virginia, the right-of-way is owned by the Towns of Abingdon and Damascus, and by the National Park Service and the National Forest Service.” (Submitted on June 8, 2013.)
2. . 1965 article by Richard Smith in the Washington County News Excerpt: “This train follows its twin ribbons of steel into a land inaccessible by road, where man has not yet brought his questionable improvements. Around a bend a startled deer will bound into the woods, and high in a tree a blacksnake will stretch lazily in the summer heat. You can watch the movement of wind along the side of a hill, the foaming water of a stream as it falls down the mountain. Cattle will be grazing (Submitted on June 8, 2013.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 448 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.