Waimea in Kauai County, Hawaii — Hawaiian Island Archipelago (Pacific Ocean)
Russian Fort Elizabeth
1815 - 1864
These forts were built under the direction of Georg Anton Schaeffer, an agent with the Russian-American Company, and Fort Elizabeth was named for the Czarina of Russia at the time of fort construction. The Russians made an alliance with Kauai King Kaumualii to build the forts and to secure a provisioning station in Hawaii for the Russian-American ships trading between the American Northwest and Asia across the Pacific Ocean. The Russians were forced to leave Kauai and abandon the forts in 1817. Hawaiian troops completed & occupied Fort Elizabeth from 1817 until 1864.
The fort was dismantled in 1864 by order of the Hawaiian government and the fort has fallen into disrepair since that time. The remnants of Russian Fort Elizabeth consist of the fort wall made of basalt boulders staked over an earthen
Location. 21° 57.125′ N, 159° 39.91′ W. Marker is in Waimea, Hawaii, in Kauai County. Marker is at the intersection of Hawaii Route 50 and Waimea River, on the left when traveling west on State Route 50. Touch for map. Marker is located in Fort Elizabeth State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Waimea HI 96796, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain Cook Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Menehune Ditch (approx. 1.3 miles away); Spouting Horn Park (approx. 11.9 miles away); Prince Kūhiō Birthplace & Park (approx. 13.2 miles away); Yamamoto Store & Kōloa Hotel (approx. 13.2 miles away); Koloa, Birthplace of the Hawaiian Sugar Industry (approx. 13.2 miles away); Kōloa Missionary Church (approx. 13.2 miles away); Kōloa Jodo Mission (approx. 13.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waimea.
Categories. • Exploration • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 466 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.