West Milford in Passaic County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The First Furnace
The stone foundation before you is all that remains of the original iron furnace at Long Pond Ironworks. Built in 1766 by Peter Hasenclever, it was 25 feet tall and could produce 25 tons of iron a week. During the Revolutionary War, iron from this furnace was used to make equipment for the Colonial Army. The low stone walls at the left and right are foundations for the furnace’s casting and wheelhouse, respectively.
Location. 41° 8.743′ N, 74° 18.689′ W. Marker is in West Milford, New Jersey, in Passaic County. Marker can be reached from Greenwood Lake Turnpike, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on a trail in the Long Pond Ironworks Historic District. Marker is in this post office area: West Milford NJ 07480, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hasenclever Iron Trail (here, next to this marker); The Ringwood Furnaces at Hewitt (a few steps from this marker); Water Power (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Water Wheel Pit (about 500 feet away); Weighing Scale Remains (about 500 feet away); The Company Store Long House Ruins (approx. 0.2 miles away); Steam Powered Sawmill Remains (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Milford.
Also see . . . The Friends of Long Pond Ironworks website. (Submitted on June 12, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 273 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.