Alleghany in Sierra County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1993 by E Clampus Vitus, Major William Downie Chapter No. 1849.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alleghany CA 95910, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bald Mountain Mine (was a few steps from this marker but has been reported missing. ); Forest City Brewery (within shouting distance of this marker); Forest City Dance Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Stamp Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Rite Here (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bovee Building (approx. 1.4 miles away); Alleghany (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Sixteen to One Mine (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alleghany.
Also see . . . Forest City, California - Ghost Town Explorers. Located on a tributary of Oregon Creek, the camp was first settled in 1852 and given the name Brownsville, which was changed to Elizaville, and then in 1854 Forest City. The post office was established in 1854 and the name of the town was abbreviated to Forest in 1895. (Submitted on June 13, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 13, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.