Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Claster Building

 
 
The Claster Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. The Claster Building Marker
Inscription. This building was erected in 1920 for the offices of the Pennsylvania Public Services Commission and was one of the first buildings in downtown Harrisburg intended to be leased for state offices. Originally known as the Claster Building, having been built by local merchant Henry C. Claster, the structure replaced the "footprint" of the earlier Board of Trade Building erected on the same site in the 1890's as Harrisburg further evolved as a major industrial, commercial and financial center in the U.S. mid-Atlantic region. The Harrisburg Board of Trade would ultimately become the Harrisburg Chamber of Commerce, now the Harrisburg Regional Chamber, and was the site of operations of the Harrisburg League of Municipal Improvements which spearheaded the City Beautiful Movement. The Claster Building, renamed the Blackstone Building in the mid 20th Century, was used for a variety of office purposes as well as for the studios with rooftop transmission tower of early radio station WKBO. It was acquired by Dauphin County as an expansion of the County Government Complex in the early 1980's. With many interior and exterior alterations made over the years, the County thoroughly overhauled the building including the reconstruction of previously altered curtain walls and windows to emulate its original 1920 Art Deco-styled appearance.
Left Photo
1900
The Claster Building image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
2. The Claster Building
view of the Board of Trade Building located on the same site as the Claster Building.
Right Photo
Mid-1920's view of the Claster Building.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
 
Location. 40° 15.555′ N, 76° 52.921′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on Market Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Between River and 2nd Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hilton Harrisburg and Towers ( within shouting distance of this marker); The Jones House ( within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square During The Civil War ( within shouting distance of this marker); The Johnston Building & Menaker Building ( within shouting distance of this marker); Prelude To Gettysburg ( within shouting distance of this marker); Harrisburg ( within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square Presbyterian Church ( within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square ( within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyGovernmentNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,326 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement