Wilson in Wilson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Henry G. Conner
Court; Federal District
Judge; state legislator.
Grave is 3.5 mi. west.
Erected 1979 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number F-56.)
Location. 35° 43.524′ N, 77° 54.633′ W. Marker is in Wilson, North Carolina, in Wilson County. Marker is on Nash Street (State Highway 58), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located between Goldsboro Street and Pine Street. Marker is in this post office area: Wilson NC 27893, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Combat Wounded Veterans (a few steps from this marker); Wilson County Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Hackney Wagon Company (within shouting distance of this marker); First ABC Store (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); R.D.W. Connor (approx. 0.2 miles away); P.D. Gold (approx. 0.3 miles away); Military Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away); Owen L. W. Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilson.
Regarding Henry G. Conner. Henry G. Connor, judge and legislator, was born in Wilmington in 1852 to
Connorís strong allegiance to the Democratic party led him to work closely with his friend Charles B. Aycock in the white supremacy campaign of 1898 to restore the partyís dominance in North Carolina. He was elected to the North Carolina House of Representatives and was chosen speaker. In order to follow through with the promises of the 1898 campaign, he helped orchestrate the passage of a constitutional amendment that disenfranchised most black voters. According to Carolyn A. Wallace, “Connorís views of suffrage were those of his race and generation, but he was anxious that
Connor was viewed as an honest, hard working man who was devoted to his wife, Katherine Whitfield, daughter of his law tutor. One of his twelve children, Robert Digges Wimberly Connor, grew up to become one of North Carolinaís foremost historians and archivists. Groves and Katherine both died in 1924 and were buried in Wilsonís Maplewood Cemetery. (North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 17, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.