Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cambria in Columbia County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Historical Site

 
 
Historical Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, June 16, 2013
1. Historical Site Marker
Inscription. On this site in 1844, John Langdon & his four sons erected a sawmill, a dam & gristmill. Other early settlers by the names of McConochie, Dodge, Torbert, & Williams joined in construction. The original place name of Langdon's Mill, later became Florence, Belleville and finally Cambria.

The name Cambria is derived from the Welsh word Cymrie (meaning Wales) in honor of early settlement of the area by Welsh immigrants. The first group of Welsh people to come to this area left Liverpool, England on July 17, 1845. They were Robert Closs, David R. Jones, John R. Rowlands, Evan Edwards, Jabes Lloyd, E.B. Williams & John Edwards.

Cambria was the "Center" of the Welsh settlers in Columbia, Dodge & Green Lake Counties. The communities of Blaen-y-cae, Lake Emily, Proscairon, Rockhill, Portage Prairie & Welsh Prairie were established around Cambria.
 
Erected by the Cambria - Friesland Historical Society in memory of W.J. "Chris" & Elizabeth "Betty" McConochie.
 
Location. 43° 32.646′ N, 89° 6.498′ W. Marker is in Cambria, Wisconsin, in Columbia County. Marker is on North Madison Street (State Highway 146) 0.1 miles north of West Edgewater Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cambria WI 53923, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Historical Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, June 16, 2013
2. Historical Site Marker
The marker is on the road over the dam that created Tarrant Lake. The outlet for Duck Creek is visible behind the marker.
At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. David J. Jones (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Inglehart Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Samuel & Chloe Leonard Doud (approx. 9.6 miles away); Historic Pardeeville / Belmont Hotel (approx. 9.6 miles away); Angie Williams Cox Public Library (approx. 9.6 miles away); Pardeeville World War I Memorial (approx. 9.7 miles away); Wyona Park / Rifle Pit Legend (approx. 9.8 miles away); Bernard R. "Bunny" Berigan (approx. 10.1 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Historical Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, June 16, 2013
3. Historical Site Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2013, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2013, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement