Fort Leavenworth in Leavenworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
This building and Sheridan Hall to the west were built in 1859 as Ordnance store houses. In 1882, it was remodeled to house Headquarters of the Department of Missouri. It was occupied in 1890 by the Infantry and Cavalry School, forerunner of the Command and General Staff College, at which time the building was named for General Sherman. In 1907 Grant Hall was built to unite Sherman and Sheridan Halls.
Location. 39° 21.091′ N, 94° 54.888′ W. Marker is in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Marker is at the intersection of Sherman Avenue and Scott Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Sherman Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Leavenworth KS 66027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major General James Franklin Bell (here, next to this marker); French Aid During American Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Former Burial Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Sully (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Leavenworth The Oregon and Santa Fe Trails (approx. ¼ mile away); Santa Fe and Oregon Trails (approx. ¼ mile away); Zais Park (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Leavenworth.
More about this marker. Public access to the post is possible with proper identification, subject to U.S. Army regulations.
Also see . . .
1. US Army Command and General Staff College. (Submitted on July 16, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. US Army Garrison Fort Leavenworth. (Submitted on July 16, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Education • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features • Patriots & Patriotism •
More. Search the internet for Sherman Hall.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 333 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.