Mosherville in Hillsdale County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mosherville Church / Mosherville School
The Mosherville Church was built in 1861-62 on land donated by Joseph and Mary Riggs. Originally part of the Litchfield circuit of the Methodist Episcopal Church, it became the home church of a separate circuit in 1870. The Ladies Aid Society was organized in 1891. In 1893 a bequest from Kate C. Brower allowed the society to enlarge the church, adding the Kate C. Brower Memorial Chapel. The church has held weekly non-denominational services since 1943.
Mosherville's first school opened in 1847. In 1857-58 the community erected a frame schoolhouse. It was replaced by this building in 1872 at a cost of $2,800. The oldest school in Scipio Township, it originally had two rooms serving grades one through ten. Later, as an eight-grade school, its well-kept yard and outbuildings, organization, furnishings and supplies earned it the status of "standard school." The school closed in 1967 and later became the home of the Ladies Aid Society.
Erected 1980 by Michigan History Division, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L653A.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jonesville MI 49250, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Father Gabriel Richard (approx. 4.7 miles away); Congregational Church of Litchfield (approx. 5.2 miles away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Grosvenor House (approx. 5½ miles away); Michigan and Ohio Railroad Depot (approx. 7.7 miles away); Paddock-Hubbard House (approx. 8.1 miles away); Concord Universalists / First Universalist Church (approx. 8.1 miles away); Allen Civil War Monument (approx. 9 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 304 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 17, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.